BREAKING: Multiple Fatalities In Ft. Lauderdale Airport Shooting
Multiple people have been killed at the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport after a shooter opened fire just before 1 p.m. EST on Friday afternoon, according to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office. The shooter is in custody at this time.
Airport officials said earlier on Twitter that there was an “ongoing incident at the Terminal 2 baggage claim.”
The Broward County Sheriff's office has confirmed 5 people have been killed and 8 people are being treated for injuries.
Update: 5 ppl dead; 8 injured were taken to an area hospital.— Broward Sheriff (@browardsheriff) January 6, 2017
The airport is now closed.
The Department of Homeland Security issued an update at around 3:30 today, "Update: Active shooter at #FLL. Shelter in place. Airport closed."
The Associated Press reports, "Sen. Bill Nelson of Florida identified the gunman as Esteban Santiago and said that he was carrying a military ID, but that it was unclear whether it was his.
"We don't know a motive at this point," Nelson said. "This could well be someone who is mentally deranged, or in fact it could be someone who had a much more sinister motive that we have to worry about every day, and that is terrorism. We can't conclude that.""
The Brown County Sheriff Department has confirmed the suspect is now in custody without further incident,
Donald Trump spoke with Florida Governor Scott earlier and tweeted,
Monitoring the terrible situation in Florida. Just spoke to Governor Scott. Thoughts and prayers for all. Stay safe!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 6, 2017
Florida Governor Rick Scott issued a statement saying in part, “I have been in Fort Lauderdale all afternoon getting briefed by law enforcement. Local, state and federal officials are working together to get control of the situation and get answers. There is still a lot of information that we are waiting on. But we know that many people have been killed and many are fighting for their lives at hospitals in Broward County. This was an attack on innocent people who were just trying to travel home to their families or go on a fun trip this weekend.
“In Florida, we use every resource available to keep our visitors and citizens safe. My number one priority is the safety of everyone in our state. Florida is a strong and resilient state. We will not let attacks like this tear us apart. I will continue to provide regular updates as I get more briefings from law enforcement.”
More details are emerging at this point including that the gunman had picked up his luggage at baggage claim, gone into the bathroom, found his handgun that he had declared and check in, and then proceeded to open fire at the airport, killing 5 innocent people. Few other details can be confirmed at this time. A media briefing is scheduled to take place soon.