5 things to remember next time you are sharing your faith
When it comes to sharing your faith, there can be many things you may be up against. But the Bible teaches us to be ready in season and out of season and to always be prepared to give an answer for the reason for the hope that we have. So if Jesus is Lord and his last instructions to us were to bear witness to him, we need to take the task of getting the Gospel to all nations seriously. Some may be called overseas or to the inner cities of the world as full time missionaries. Others may be called to reach those they meet at work, at school, or in their coming and their going to the Lord.
So as you step out to join God in his mission there are a few things things to remember:
1) Pray and ask God for opportunities. Remember to follow God as he leads you to the people that he wants to cross your path. Be prayerful and sensitive to the Lord's leading.
2) Be authentic. As you live your life, people are watching, so be authentic to who God has made you to be and allow your life to speak to people. When we walk in patience, humility, and joy we are bearing witness to Christ in us.
3) As you build relationships with people, share your testimony. People can argue about theology and your stance on doctrine but they won't be able to argue with what God has done in your life personally. How did God first reveal himself to you? How has he answered your prayers? Share these personal stories, their is nothing more powerful and real.
4) Understand the gospel. Make sure you are presenting the truth when you do have the opportunity to share the gospel. Breaking the gospel down into key truths can help you explain it in a way that doesn't seem rehearsed.
A) God loves you.
B) Sin has separated us from a relationship with him.
C) The cross of Jesus offer us the only way into a right relationship with God. It's a free gift.
D) He requires that we repent of our sins and place our trust in his finished work for eternal life and righteousness before him.
5) Sow seeds. Understand that one plants a seed, another waters the seed of God's word, but God alone makes it grow. So don't be discouraged if people don't respond and know that if they do, God deserves the glory.
So be ready next time God crosses your path. There are no coincidences in following Jesus, only divine appointments.