5 Reasons Supporting Christian Causes is Essential on Giving Tuesday
Giving Tuesday has become increasingly popular as a day of generosity. After the shopping of Black Friday and Cyber Monday people are realizing what the season is really all about- helping others. Yet, I believe as believers and followers of Jesus Christ we miss our calling when we support causes that are not Gospel centered. Supporting Christian causes on Giving Tuesday or any other day for the Christian believer is essential for a number of reasons.
1) According to JoshuaProject.net there remain an estimated 6,900 unreached people groups on the earth...today. Whenever I tell people this, I usually get a blank stare and a how can this be question? This alone is enough to inspire me to not give dollars to any organization not committed to advancing the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
2) Christ is the solution to every non-profit cause. Health, homeless, education, sickness, water, food, children, disease. Chances are there is a Christ centered organization filling these needs and if there isn't there isn't one issue that the Gospel of Jesus Christ doesn't solve or impact.
3) Get to the root. Every issue mentioned above is fruit of a root. Give them Jesus and you change the root and therefore the fruit. The fruit of sin is sickness and death. The fruit of knowing Christ is life and peace.
4) Eternity is at stake. We either believe the Bible or not. It's a black and white issue. When you support a cause other than the furtherance of the Gospel you're leaving souls in the balance.
5) Galatians 6:10 tells us to do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of faith. When we support believers doing the work of the ministry we are fulfilling this Scripture and the law of love. To fulfill the law of love, the Gospel of Jesus Christ has to be present. God is love. To not give Jesus is to not love our fellow man. To deny our neighbor the beauty of knowing Jesus is the greatest disservice we could ever do to our neighbor.